re-purposing a Decca FFSS tonearm

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alternativeroute

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have always had this Decca FFSS tonearm that I wanted to use but unfortunately carts are hard to come by (and hugely expensive). After three years of hoping that one would come up locally at a good price I gave up.

Time to re-purpose the Decca tonearm for the Lenco. I want the mods to be reversible just in case I do come across a Decca cartridge.

Off to the parts bin  :rolleyes:

This is the original tonearm as it was stored in my cupboard...

Decca FFSS Tonearm

From this table I had a broken tonearm. I had already raided the tonearm for it's cable and socket (the cable went into that SME tonearm)... For this project I used the rear counterweight holder and the counter-weight.

The TEAC PX-300 test table :)

I had an old Pioneer pl25 with a seized motor. I used the headshell and headshell connector from the Pioneer. From the offset angle of the headshell I worked out the geometry for a tonearm mounted at 211mm and cut a new armtube (remember I want the Decca tonearm that can be returned to it's original function)...

This is the geometry I used:

• Mounting distance: 211mm
  • Offset Angle: 24 degrees
  • Effective length: 229mm
  • Overhang: 18mm
  • Correct alignment scheme: Baerwald

Drilling the armtube was tricky  :headbanger: In the end I used a little wooden block that I mounted the tube in and then I marked the wood and cut and drilled through that...

Decca FFSS - re-purposed

Decca FFSS - re-purposed

Now to mount the arm... I drew up a template on the computer and then taped it to the Lenco. The LED mini-torch is to help align everything...

Lenco B52 plinth revamp - Fitting the new arm - template

And there we have it... New tonearm fitted. I tried a few carts in my cartridge armoury and so far the best sounding is with a NOS Excel ES70s

Lenco B52 plinth revamp - Decca FFSS tonearm in play

Lenco B52 plinth revamp - Re-worked Decca FFSS tonearm

The biggest surprise for me is that the VTF scale is all of 0.1g out  :shocked: That was definitely not planned  :cool:

Latest posts