Author Topic: XBMC vs. Squeezebox. Can we compare?  (Read 1532 times)

Online lanties

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town - Bellville - Protea Valley
XBMC vs. Squeezebox. Can we compare?
« on: August 15, 2012, 06:19:30 pm »
What is the "general" feeling on XBMC vs Squeezebox? I am very comfortable with XBMC and we use it throughout the house.

Both can be controlled remotely so I am not really interested in touch screens etc.
Please join here if you are an apostrophe delinquent and in need of serious help, like me.

Online Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: XBMC vs. Squeezebox. Can we compare?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 07:04:14 pm »
The SB is really hardware ...isnt XBMC just a user interface?
The SB is really a music only device with the advantage of being wireless...
Main system : SBT >minidsp openDRC di> Meridian 568.2mm> Meridian DSP6000 speakers + 2x SVS SB-13 subs
2nd source: Puter and a Behringer FCA1616
2nd Spkrs:DSP5500's
DSP/room correction stuff
Phones/HP amps

Online lanties

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 07:13:03 pm »
The SB is really hardware ...isnt XBMC just a user interface?
The SB is really a music only device with the advantage of being wireless...

Hi Rodney in my opinion can the above be equally true for XBMC as well. Hence me asking here. I do believe there must be similar software/codecs etc on a SB as what you will install with XBMC. Just possibly with less CPU behind the codecs as what one will typically find on a dedicated XBMC PC.
Please join here if you are an apostrophe delinquent and in need of serious help, like me.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Smous
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:40:57 pm »
It depends entirely on the sound card (chipset) capabilities and the driver integration with OS. Most modern cards will have full proprietary driver integration under Windows (shocking, I know) so you get the 24/96 playback without much hassle. Linux, afaik, you have to work around to get the proprietary drivers (if available at all!) to integrate and in most cases you end up limited to using the generic driver (less than optimal) and maximum 16/41 rate.

On the other hand, as much as I am devoted XBMC fan, I use the Sqz (a few) simply for the convinience of not having to have the TV on in order to navigate the library. Plus, the SB3 REALLY sounds great. I mean, as good as I was able to get out of digital domain. ;)
SMOUS: SiMply gorgeOUS
Next Gauteng DIY Audio Showcase is on 2. May 2015!

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 07:43:23 pm »
I use both. XBMC on an HTPC for photos and movies in the lounge and SB for audio in the music room.
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Online lanties

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:50:11 pm »
It depends entirely on the sound card (chipset) capabilities and the driver integration with OS. Most modern cards will have full proprietary driver integration under Windows (shocking, I know) so you get the 24/96 playback without much hassle. Linux, afaik, you have to work around to get the proprietary drivers (if available at all!) to integrate and in most cases you end up limited to using the generic driver (less than optimal) and maximum 16/41 rate.

On the other hand, as much as I am devoted XBMC fan, I use the Sqz (a few) simply for the convinience of not having to have the TV on in order to navigate the library. Plus, the SB3 REALLY sounds great. I mean, as good as I was able to get out of digital domain. ;)

Interesting comments regarding Linux and the sound card drivers. I will ask the Linux gurus in my office tomorrow.  I have a few Linux fanatics working with me and we do most of our development on Linux.

I take it the SB3 is the latest touch ?.  You are building a strong case for the SB

Online lanties

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:57:39 pm »
I use both. XBMC on an HTPC for photos and movies in the lounge and SB for audio in the music room.

This makes perfect sense. I also have XBMC in the family room. So I will need one x SB3 for my music room. The children also runs XBMC on their Windows PC's. It is perfect for them.

Can SB access normal samba shares? We already use an Ubuntu server with Samba for sharing MP3's and from now on also flac. I have CAT6/GB  throughout my house so network speed is no issue.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Smous
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 08:13:13 pm »
Too many questions...

Quickly - classic Sqzboxes (incl. SB3 which is the OLD model, and the "Duet") get the library info (and stream) from the Sqz Server that you run on ... almost anything.
Sqz server WILL collect the media info from pretty much anywhere on the network and build the Sqz library.

Curent device, the Sqz "Touch" is pretty much a standalone player - you can plug the external media drive into it, and afaik it will see the shares - someone correct me please? Don't have one, so I don't know 1st hand.

If you can find the "Duet"('s) receiver on it's own - used to be cheap-cheap, around 120-150US$, you don't need the matching fancy remote if you have any glorious Android device, or at least an iCrap device... :BWAHAHAH: - there's quite a few excellent Sqz control/remote applications there.

Online lanties

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 08:24:07 pm »
Too many questions...

If you can find the "Duet"('s) receiver on it's own - used to be cheap-cheap, around 120-150US$, you don't need the matching fancy remote if you have any glorious Android device, or at least an iCrap device... :BWAHAHAH: - there's quite a few excellent Sqz control/remote applications there.

...thank you for the many answers.

Only Android here although I do not trust anything out of the Google stable as nothing from any commercial venture is ever for free, but that is a completely separate debate

Offline Johnny Rotten

• ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Bad decisions make good stories.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 08:35:40 pm »
Can SB access normal samba shares? We already use an Ubuntu server with Samba for sharing MP3's and from now on also flac. I have CAT6/GB  throughout my house so network speed is no issue.
yes, but you need to understand that it's not the SB accessing the files, but rather it's server Logitechmediaserver, so as long as LMS has read access to the share (without having to authenticate) you're fine.

Offline Johnny Rotten

• ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 08:44:44 pm »
Linux, afaik, you have to work around to get the proprietary drivers (if available at all!) to integrate and in most cases you end up limited to using the generic driver (less than optimal) and maximum 16/41 rate.
Linux will support 24/96 out of the box if the sound card supports it, no drivers necessary.

Plus, the SB3 REALLY sounds great. I mean, as good as I was able to get out of digital domain. ;)
you mean as good as you need coming from vinyl...

Online lanties

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 08:48:52 pm »
yes, but you need to understand that it's not the SB accessing the files, but rather it's server Logitechmediaserver, so as long as LMS has read access to the share (without having to authenticate) you're fine.

Thanks got that part. I see LMS is available for Ubuntu as well so I may as well run it directly on my Ubuntu server where we already storing all the music.

Offline Johnny Rotten

• ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 08:52:54 pm »
^^^ that'd be best.

Online lanties

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 08:54:30 pm »
you mean as good as you need coming from vinyl...

aaag sometimes we just feel like sitting a bit longer than 20 minutes before flipping the vinyl. We accept that we have to sacrifice something because we are in a lazy mood. In those instances the digital domain is better than no music at all.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Smous
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 09:18:20 pm »
...We accept that we have to sacrifice something because we are in a lazy mood. In those instances the digital domain is better than no music at all.
Well said...
 :BWAHAHAH: