Don't judge a book by it's cover - or lack thereof...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipwelder

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am trying to purchase a Ludo headphone amp kit... This has turned out to be more problematic than actually getting a Ludo Headphone amp kit. However putting Ludo's headphone amp into a nice enough box, sorting all the odds and ends, was always going to take me a while... Enter Ludo stage left with all the bits and bobs completed... just needs a box... I can listen to it if I connect mains...  8)

Unfortunately while I make space to swing a cat below shoulder height in the workshop... the wife has now started to kidnap tools and projects that are left unnattended in the lounge/stoep... The ransom is often steep...  ::) This could cause more marital discord than I am fit to deal with. But I desperately wanted to hear it, as Ludo has improved on the one I previously listened to... And I am getting severe headphone withdrawel symptoms...

Enter the Sunday afternoon flightcase with the main feature that it can be stowed rather quickly once I have listened to it, it doesn't scratch the hi-fi cabinet and it will probably not kill me... now truly it is a disgrace to put this headphone amp into such a tamatiekassie, but I am truthful to a fault and here it is warts and all, hopefully this one stays out of the hall of shame...

To Ludo's credit I must note that staying true to my name I killed an XO board when I tried to make space in my pre-amp box for this amp - I have taken this box apart and put back together at least fifty times, something manages to go wrong about half the time I put it back together again, so i am not overly concerned... yet I managed to mistake + and - on the psu so byebye left channel xo board... Yet Ludo's headphone amp lives and breathes, that takes serious doing. Furthermore it will not go into the pre-amp box anymore, on the off-chance I may build an office hp system for "working" and then I'll need to move it again. I listened past midnight and inbetween making breakfast this morning. The wife got a silly grin when listening to her fav cd... last night - this is a good sign.  This morning she started dancing to our opening dance song for the wedding...  8) (note to self this is a good way to make up for staying out of bed till late.)

A note to prospective owners it takes a little while to get up to the great sound, before that it sounds fine, but the music seems just not quite right, I don't know how long, definitely no more than 30 min, but more than 10min. It managed to confirm Ludo's assertion that the pre-amp switching in the technics SU-V8 best be left out of the equation - it also makes, things just not right, rather plug it straight into the GerDAC... then the music sounds right...

Attachments

• IMGP4230.JPG
    IMGP4230.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 281