How much is an upgrade worth?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nico V

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
It is said that a poor man and a rich man don't think alike. So this question will bore the crap out of the high-end guys...  Sorry guys.

My question is simple: how much is an upgrade worth...? I have a rotel rmb1075 biwired to 2 jamo d590's with a marantz high end sacdp. Obviously not in the top echelons of audio but what the heck - i might just perhaps be living someone else's dream. I went to listen to an MA - Denon match (please note I'm  NOT trying to knock any brands.) I was disappointed. For R75k more  i expected to hear something of substance  - but there wasn't any. So is my expectation unreasonable to get substantionally improved sound for an additional  R75k? Or am i simply out of touch or unrealistic? I just can't see myself spending R75k if the experience improvement is negligible. Maybe the pairing at audition was bad. If you were me? What would your take be? I'm talking stereo by the way. Surround sound is on another system.

Thanks Chaps.

Latest posts