Author Topic: Oppo 105D vs other DACs  (Read 224 times)

Offline Rockit

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
Oppo 105D vs other DACs
« on: January 11, 2017, 06:17:52 PM »
Hi
Really new to this digital thing other than CDs.
Was fortunate to get an Oppo (thanks FDLYSYS!) a while ago and am very impressed.
Also as a CD player it blows the socks off my previous CD player.
I've been ripping AIFFs and bought quite a few Hi-Res and am impressed (still doesn't beat analogue, but thats not what this is about...)
Very convenient when not sitting dedicated to the listening experience.

Anyway, how does the DAC on this device compare to other DACs out there?
Cheers

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
Re: Oppo 105D vs other DACs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 08:42:00 PM »
honest answer  :EGrin:

its great for movies and what not
picture is the best
as  dac i think it lasted 5 min in my system
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:04:41 AM »
Like mentioned, probably fine for blu-ray movies and the occasional CD. The detail and clean sounding nature of ESS DACs are always very impressive on first listen, but they tend to have some grating characteristics if you know what to look for and I don't think Oppo have tried to mask those in any way so to some it's going to draw polarising opinions. You have to experiment a bit with different DACs and implementations to see the differences.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 09:31:45 AM »
There is no "one size fits all" for DACs.  I am positive that it has to do with matching the rest of your system, the room characteristics, the type of music you listen to and the volume it is set to.  I have been through (properly evaluated) many DACs over the past few years.  Not all were an improvement on the one it superceded, nor were the more expensive ones better than the cheaper ones. Ultimately, it is your listening experience that counts

We all know technology advances at an ever-increasing rate and a DAC is basically a computer resolving digital signals, so you would expect there to be improvements all the time.  Every few months a new DAC chip or method of processing appears.  It must be very difficult for manufacturers of DACs to decide what they are going to make, to recover their costs and make a profit on the item.  If there is no profit, there is on incentive to continually create new products

Offline Rockit

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 10:47:20 AM »
Thanks for the input.
I believe it's nicely matched with my other bits 'cause it sounds pretty good and more than sufficient for my needs.
I've tried CDs, SACDs, Hi-Res (AIFF, DSD and a few FLACs) AIFF rips of CDs and only mp3s are crappy but one would expect that.
When I really want to listen I go the analogue route anyway.
Cheers