Author Topic: ZOTL by Linear Tube Audio, new giant killers amplifiers.  (Read 899 times)

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Owner of Audio Tweak and LampizatOr local agent.
    • Audio Tweak
ZOTL by Linear Tube Audio, new giant killers amplifiers.
« on: December 01, 2016, 03:17:02 AM »
We are incredibly exited about this new product, there is truly nothing like it. The holy grail of amplification will hit our shores shortly...

What is ZOTL?

Audio amplifier design engineers have long sought to eliminate audio output transformers because of the restrictions they impose on amp performance. Leakage inductance and interwinding capacitance limit the high-frequency response of transformers while core saturation and magnetizing current limit their low-frequency response. Transformer-core hysteresis causes specific distortions of non-symmetric and transient waveforms that are characteristic of musical reproduction.  Audio output transformers simply cannot achieve the correct turns ratios as they only max out at 25:1 due to saturation and hysteresis effects. This leaves much to be desired, which creates and issue that needs to be resolved.  Enter ZOTL, the solution.

Zero hysteresis Transformer-Less (ZOTL) is a proprietary and patented architecture developed by David Berning and tweaked by Linear Tube Audio that achieves effective turns ratios of nearly 300:1 and resolves all issues involving audio output transformers by eliminating them entirely.

The ZOTL10 amplifier (ideal for efficient speakers such as ZU Audio, Avantgarde speakers, etc) and the ZOTL40 MK.2 amplifier (for more difficult loads such as ESL, Maggies, etc) will make discerning audiophile clients in SA very happy. Although the 40W seems lowish in power, the ZOTL40 is capable of embarrassing much more powerful solid state monoblocks, tube or solid state amps.

Apparently David Chesky (Chesky Label/HDTracks) owns the ZOTL40 for evaluating his recordings and drives his QUAD ESL speakers without a sweat! Sources have informed me that "David has never heard anything this amazing ever..."

For instance, in the following review, the ZOTL40 beats the following well known brands:
http://hometheaterreview.com/linear-tube-audio-zotl40-mkii-amplifier-reviewed/

McIntosh Labs MC275 V1 tube power amp
VTL ST-150 tube power amp
Pass Labs XA60.8 solid-state mono blocks

"Two tube-based amplifiers that fall in the price range of the ZOTL40 MK.II are the McIntosh Labs MC275 V1 and the VTL ST-150, both of which retail for $6,000. In the case of the McIntosh MC275 V1, it was totally out-classed by the ZOTL40 MK.II's performance when it came to clarity/transparency, and it sounded fuzzy/clouded in comparison. Both amps sounded washed out when it came to tonality/timbres and were almost "dry" compared with the signature of the ZOTL40 MK.II's beautiful natural colours. Neither amplifier had the high dynamic level of the ZOTL40 MK.II." Terry London - hometheaterreview[/size]

Info:
http://www.audiotweak.co.za/products/zotl10/
http://www.audiotweak.co.za/products/zotl40-mk-2/

We will be making the 10W available in JHB soon.
We will have the ZOTL40 MK.2 (40W amp) and the ZOTL10 (10W amp) in Cape Town for demos and will be able to send the 40W in the Gauteng area should need be.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:42:00 PM by Family_Dog »

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
    • Audio Tweak
Re: ZOTL by Linear Tube Audio, new giant killers amplifiers, almost here!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 11:30:57 PM »
Some info from 6moons warming up to what seems like a killer review in the making...

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/zotl/1.html

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
    • Audio Tweak
Re: ZOTL white paper info
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »
Very impressive ZOTL white paper info:

http://www.davidberning.com/technology/comparison

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
  • Good brands in good hands
    • 13hof
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 07:14:55 PM »
...hey Ramsey...than lets hope that Davids Chesky s recordings getting blood and life....

Lets make a music evening with your transformerless light weights in my Loft...that would be something. Getting tired of lifting 100 kilo plus amps. READY?

Contact us to book a demo. - Twitter

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
    • Audio Tweak
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 08:23:48 PM »
...hey Ramsey...than lets hope that Davids Chesky s recordings getting blood and life....

Lets make a music evening with your transformerless light weights in my Loft...that would be something. Getting tired of lifting 100 kilo plus amps. READY?
Hey... David Chesky stuff actually sound rather nice and lively on the right system. ;-) What's your benchmark, bright and thin ECM and Water Lily Acoustics, fluffy Concorde label or fat and laborious Telarc label?  :BWAHAHAH:

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
    • 13hof
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 09:26:58 PM »
.......hmmmmmmm maybe this is easier to understand... I m interested in listen to your ZOTL s on my Avantgarde

:P

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
    • Audio Tweak
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 09:31:10 PM »
.......hmmmmmmm maybe this is easier to understand... I m interested in listen to your ZOTL s on my Avantgarde

:P
For sure man! I actually suggested to some of the guys from the HiFi Club to join us so that we have a neutral battle of the giants! We wouldn't want anyone being biased would we? So let's bring it on yeah! What amp have you got in mind under 100K to go against my Linear Tube Audio ZOTL40 MK.2? And what amp have you got under 60K to go against my LTA ZOTL10?

Offline achim

• Commercial Member
    • 13hof
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 10:46:51 AM »
......both candidates will be below 60k..... for me its more important and very interesting to hear if any small amp is able to drive the Avantgardes.... (which I m doubting) and if those are the ZOTLs.... great than I will help you to sell them.....if I m allowed... ;)

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+54)
  • Pioneer sm-83
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 12:47:42 PM »
I have a pair of amps to try as well.... :whistler:
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline fredeb

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 01:16:59 PM »
I have a pair of amps to try as well.... :whistler:

Come on ! Tell us more Mr Kassler .

For sure man! I actually suggested to some of the guys from the HiFi Club to join us so that we have a neutral battle of the giants! We wouldn't want anyone being biased would we? So let's bring it on yeah! What amp have you got in mind under 100K to go against my Linear Tube Audio ZOTL40 MK.2? And what amp have you got under 60K to go against my LTA ZOTL10?

So ... is that what they're selling for ? R100k and R60k respectively ? Are they running on switch mode PSU's ? SMPS'esziz ?
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
    • Audio Tweak
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 04:38:08 PM »
OK, been testing our brand new arrival, the ZOTL40 MK.2 amplifier, there has been very little to touch the Wells Innamorata on just about everything but mostly its gorgeous midband, here's a brief review about the Linear Tube Audio ZOTL40 MK.2 amp.

System:
* LampizatOr Golden Gate DAC (with preamp built-in)
* ZOTL40 MK.2 amplifier
* Black Cat Lupo speaker and interconnect cables
* UBIQ Audio Model 1 speakers

My Wells Innamorata sounds like a soft and syrupy and even rather bloated amp next to the ZOTL40 MK-2, what a vast improvement, if you read the accolades on the Wells Innamorata amplifier, you'd think that saying that the ZOTL40 MK.2 is way-way better sounds almost far fetched, well it is, it just destroyed it in all possible areas. It's crystal clear, with a total unclogging of images, like a brand new system, articulate, fast and utterly natural, the biggest upgrade I've ever witnessed. Images float in space, dynamics hit you by surprise like violent explosions happening right in front of you, the decay of notes go on forever. A fog has been removed and instruments are full of character without smudge or smear. Yet the midband is utterly relaxed and natural.

If anyone wants to bring their amp over at my place, please feel free to PM me?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 04:46:59 PM by audiotweaker »