Author Topic: Beyerdynamic DTXXX pro vs edition vs premium  (Read 288 times)

Offline grumpybear

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
Beyerdynamic DTXXX pro vs edition vs premium
« on: March 22, 2017, 07:50:41 PM »
I get asked this often by customers so thought this might help

https://support.beyerdynamic.com/hc/en-us/sections/200272172-DT-770-edition-DT-880-edition-and-DT-990-edition

As far as I am aware there is actually no such thing as a DTXXX Premium, this is in fact an Edition model.

As an aside C-plan Audio has some Edition models at old exchange rate pricing so worth snapping up whilst available.

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
Re: Beyerdynamic DTXXX pro vs edition vs premium
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:18:17 PM »
I had a pair of DT990's that were clearly marked "Premium".  As I have it Pro is 250 ohm only, black finish, coiled cable and aimed at the ... uhm ... pro market.  Premium is aimed at home users, available as 32, 250 or 600 ohm, comes with a straight longer cable and has more upmarket appearance.  Frivoulous market segmentation as I believe a 250 ohm Pro and 250 ohm Premium sound identical.

Not mine but the box looked just like this:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:22:49 PM by Scubadude »
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline EduanB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:52:13 PM »
The new DT1XXX are getting really great reviews and would love to own one. Unfortunately, they're around $600  :'(

Offline grumpybear

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 07:18:52 AM »
Hi Scubadude, Beyerdynamic created much confusion re model descriptions.  Yes the description says Premium Stereo Headphone but the model number is just plain DT990 as opposed to DT990Pro so people started using Premium to differentiate between the two.  This was changed to DT990E and DT990Pro a while ago and the premium description dropped by beyer but not it seems by everyone else.
You are correct that 250 Ohm Pro and E versions sound identical, differences are cosmetic and the clamping force on the headband.