Valve data books

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kubusi

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this particular subject has been raised before, if it has I apologise for any repetition
For those of us who started messing about with valves and radios etc before sand came into the entire field of electronics will not have a problem.

For newcomers into valve technology and may only have access to a single valve data book be carefull as sometimes, not very often mind you, incorrect data is given. If I come across a valve I am not all that familiar with I try to look up details of the item in two or more reference books, fortunately these days we also have the Internet for information.

Let me quote a couple of examples I have come across, sometimes just a typographical errow.
Avo Valve Data Manual, which is generally considered beyond reproach, look up B152 in the cross reference section of the book it is given as a ECC91 it is actually a ECC81.

RCA Receiving Tube Manual  RC -26 of 1968, look up a 6GV8, in the entry for this valve it is reflected as 6GV8/EL500 actually a 6GV8 is the equivalent of a ECL85. The EL500 is the same as a 6GV5.
An earlier edition of the RCA manual, I think about 1956, look up a 6G6, octal output pentode, just states refer to 7 pin minature 6AK6 for characteristics. You will not find it in the book

Go to some of the "Wireless World" valve data books where the valves are listed under the name of a particular manufacturer. The same valve type will come up under different manufacturers names and sometimes there are minor differences in the supplied details

These examples are only those I have come across, there could possibly be more of them, so double check.