Managing broadband data

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm subscribed to Telkom's LTE network. What with school hols, there's continuous YouTube & Netflix streaming, online gaming, and now my wife is binge-watching The Vampire Diaries on Showmax.

Yesterday morning my service was being throttled to 2M download speed. I call 'em up and I was informed that my 300GB streaming cap was in the green, but the 50GB peer-to-peer cap had been reached. I had fallen foul of Telkom's Fair Use Policy. Speeds will be reset on 1 January. Now that's fair enough. But now I'm thinking that surely this is something I can control from my side? I also realise that it's not clear what qualifies as P2P.

So, my questions are:

1) Is there information available to clarify the definition of P2P and streaming data?
2) Are there tools available to inform me which - and how much - of these two kinds of data traffic is in use? (Either live or from a retrievable log).
3) Are there tools available to enable me to regulate consumption of the two data categories?

Please advise.

Latest posts