Spectro Acoustics 217-R question

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicMan_ZA

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would appreciate any advice about this:
I have a 1970's Spectro Acoustics 217-R pre-amp, and it is a very good-sounding pice of kit. I especially like its 2 phono inputs and multitude of cartridge loading options (I have never used even half of that!).
I have not used it for about a year, and it was put away in, as far as I knew, perfect working condition.
However, today I took it out to use, and discovered the following:
(The volume knob is also the on/off switch)
If one imagine's a scale of [0] to [10] for the volume, at [0] it is off.
At [1] there is faint music coming equally from both channels.
At [2] the music from the R channel picks up nicely, and but the L channel is still faint (although louder than at [1]).
At [3] the L channel also picks up, and from there on up the scale the music again comes equally loudly from both channels, and turning the balance to the far L and far R shows both channels being equally loud.
At about [6] my Mission desktop speakers distort, and I have to turn the volume down.

The problem is that, on my desk, [2] is the perfect listening volume, and [3] is too loud.
But at [2] the R channel is louder than the L, and at [3] - when they are equal again - the listening volume is too high.
To balance the L and R channels at the [2] volume level, I have to turn the Balance knob to 2 o' clock.

Any ideas as to what is going on here, and what I can do about it?

Thanks,
Johan

Latest posts