What the biwiring hell?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telephono

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Evening gents,

I have a question re biwiring and how it works.

Today I moved my listening room around, changed shelves and basically up-ended everything. I connected my speakers (Quad 22L2) about an hour ago, but left off the biwiring connectors - I only connected a single run via the treble/mid posts.

The first thing i noticed was that sound was super clear and detailed, but also with (obviously) less bass and also less loudness.

What intrigued me, however, was that there was still some output from the bass driver, albeit very little. I was under the impression that the bass driver would not do any work at all...

Once I reconnected the biwiring jumpers, I was pretty disappointed. The loudness and bass was back, but I missed the awesome clarity that was there before.

Very confusing - and I technically wasn't even biwiring... Should I try it? Will I get the best of both worlds?

Can anyone explain how biwiring works - what exactly goes on inside the speaker when I did what I did earlier?

Thanks!

Latest posts