Cleaning LP's with glue!!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, I hope this topic hasn?t been discussed into destruction here, but it was new to me.

It relates to cleaning LP?s with certain types of PVA glues.  :eek:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63451

Before reacting in horror at the idea of putting glue onto your prized LP?s, bear the following in mind.

Some of you might, or might not have been following my interest in turntables and LP?s, it?s a fairly new avenue to me and most of the LP?s that I own only cost me a few rand or are inherited.  With that in mind, I tried this on LP?s that I didn?t consider usable any longer and would have thrown away.  I in no way expect people to rush out and clean all your LP?s with glue, this was a select process, used on discs I considered unsalvageable.  ;D

Also consider, that before trying this, I?d also opted for washing the LP?s thoroughly in the various recommended manners that I?d found on websites.

I have tried this on 5 LP?s, and I have to say I have had some remarkable success with three of them.  I?m inclined to believe that the other two, were merely worn out beyond reasonable playing.  I also didn?t (appear) to cause any damage to any disc.

The improvements that I experienced where the following

? Dramatic reduction in ground noise, which (I assume) directly resulted in considerably less movement in my mid and bass cones when playing
? Considerable improvement in the quality of bass as well as detail
? LP?s I considered throw away, became usable.  Don?t think for a moment that its transfers the LP into a new disc though!

For those interested, I used an old turntable so that I could spread the glue evenly, and used Alcolin cold wood glue.  I learned that applying the  pieces of card board in four places (as mentioned in the link), while the glue is wet, made removal a LOT easier.  I also learned that using pieces of plastic coated business cards doesn?t work.  :p