AVForums reference source material

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can we make a list of recommended reference material, so that we can (mostly) be on the same page when describing our listening experiences? I just read a review here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1140186#post1140186 and it struck me that there are 2 categories of listening material: (1) for showing off how nice a system sounds and (2) for evaluating system performance.

Now, Dianna Krall is seductive even on a ghetto blaster. She can make a poor system sound good. I believe this is because of the simple, uncomplex nature of the arrangements typically found on her recordings. But these types of recordings do nothing to challenge a system...

The reviewer I linked to above used cuts that are dynamically challenging and complex. And this is where the fun starts...

So, can we make up a list (preferebly not extensive) of tracks and/or albums that are useful for testing/evaluating particular aspects of system performance? Below is a thumbsuck of possible categories. I'm sure the more informed fellow members can refine and extend the categories.

Dynamics/Dynamic range
Low frequency extension
High frequency extension
Mid-range resolution
Colouration (bass/mid/high)
High-power compression
Low frequency integration (subwoofer)

If we could compile a list of source material that presents good testing material for these categories (or whatever categories we finally decide on), I'd be persuaded to invest in those exact CD's, DVD's, vinyl, etc. But please, let it also be good music .