Smoke/Fire/Heat Detector for the Home

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi

In view of the kitchen fire here last Friday, I've been looking at various options and called numerous places without much luck. These gadgets are out there but I've obviously missed the right stockist or distributor.

I had a look on the 'net and there are numerous gadgets available. I'm looking at a non-hardwireable all purpose battery powered device which should be more than just a flimsy here today, gone tomorrow toy. Some detect smoke, some detect flame or heat and there are models with dual functionality.

My first port of call was Chubb (we have their alarm system) but they were ridiculous in quoting over R13K for a basic installation. I also called places like Bellco, Plumstead Electrical and Builder's Warehouse and with the last 3 firms, they have nothing to offer.

Does anyone perhaps know where I could obtain such a device locally or shall I consult with Mr Heath Robinson and rig something I've been thinking about, eg 1) If any stove switch is turned up to "9", an alarm sounds and the stove disconnects from the mains 2) If the moll puts oil on the stove, a robotic controlled arm exits from the warming drawer and clasp her ankle to prevent her leaving the danger area.

I mean I can sweeten the scenario by rigging another robotic hand offering her a glass of wine and something to read 'on the job' so to speak ;D

mafioso