Poll

Please indicate what kind of loudspeakers do you use in your main listening environment (RRP ZAR)

Small Bookshelf-below R20K
7 (6.6%)
Standmount Between R20-R50K
9 (8.5%)
Standmount between R50k-R100k
2 (1.9%)
Floorstander below R20k
24 (22.6%)
Floorstander between R20k-R50k
32 (30.2%)
Floorstander between R50K and R100K
10 (9.4%)
Floorstander over R100k
11 (10.4%)
Planars or electrostatics (can incl  conventional bass drivers)
8 (7.5%)
Horns (primarily based on typology)
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Author Topic: Air Loudpeakers  (Read 11865 times)

Offline gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Air Loudpeakers
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2017, 09:55:32 AM »
Is HP (high power) mode a switch on the crossover?

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Music lover and involed in industry
    • Airmusic
« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2017, 10:11:58 AM »
Gavin,
A switch will be the easy way to implement this idea but I have in mind to have 3 binding posts, one for the negative connection, a positive for the DM(direct mode) and an alternate positive for the HP(high power). Both the low pass xover for the bass unit and the high pass xover for the mid unit are changed in the HP version. Both the crossover point and slopes will be effected.

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2017, 03:14:28 PM »
Hurry up! I can't wait to see this project completed. Too bad I'm missing out on hearing it.
It's only hifi people....

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2017, 06:14:29 PM »
Hurry up! I can't wait to see this project completed.
Atjan you have no idea on just how keen and excited we are to get it done. I try to curb my enthusiasm in dealing with all our suppliers not to put to much pressure on them. It takes some serious self-control but we want to bring all with us and make them all part of the vision and project.

Atjan, have a missed a post or 2? Are you no longer in SA but in Aus?

Maybe not very exciting but here are screenshots of the envisaged port. It will be molded and then slot in a similar aluminum machined flare at the opening to the outside at the back of the speaker. I find port tuning so very critical every time that I do experiments. It is influenced by many factors and simulations are only a start. Besides the crossover resistance stemming from the bass/midrange inductors, I also found that stuffing in the working enclosures is very critical as well as external factors such as different amps and placement. Because of this, We will make the port, at least the 1st unit or 2, in such a way that we can fine tune the port almost as the last part of the design when all else is done and dusted.

Offline HBAutomation

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2017, 08:39:14 PM »
Hurry up! I can't wait to see this project completed.
Me too!
Looks as though due diligence is at play and rightly so! Good luck with your endeavour. Looking forward to a spectacular review/s from all here!  :groovy:

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2017, 10:34:36 AM »
@Air
Yep, I jumped ship.  :D
It's only hifi people....

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #186 on: February 07, 2017, 12:24:42 PM »
Maybe time for a quick update:
1)We are pushing hard to get into the scheduling of the suppliers, especially for the Aluminium parts
2)Part of the chemicals required for the carbon fibre carcass was in short supply and its seems that SA Customs also did not play game- resolved now though
3)In the process of deciding on whether to machine an aluminium plug for the port's mould or whether we could get away with a 3rd printed plug to pull the mould from.
4)Waiting for 1st samples of anodising

The pic is a peep into the speaker; the bass driver, aluminium torque rods and brace, port and where the crossover will be fitted are visible

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:29:59 PM by Air »

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2017, 03:41:43 PM »
March may just be the month during which the Vivace will be born. :pray:

In the past month, we have made some minor refinements to the mould that is used to produce the carbon fibre carcas and this part is now within our tolerance level. We made a dummy part using glass fibre, and it was within spec and carbon versions will be made this week. We also decided on a 2 step production process, namely first the laying up the A side, moulding and then curing whereafter the core and the inner side (B) carbon layup will be done, once again moulded and cured. This is a bit more labour intensive, but the quality is so much better this way. We need to program the final cut outs and trimming of this part, but that should be relatively straight forward.

We are happy with all the aluminium parts, and more units will be machined next week.

We tested aluminium samples of powder coating, anodising as well as bead blasting the aluminium and then anodising it. Power coating is a safe option but is a bit dull and lifeless in our opinion. It does not make the best of the natural beauty of aluminium. Bead blasting alumunium creates a stunning finish that even tempted us to use it just like that.. but anodising the pre-treated surface is the way we will go in line with our design ideas.

The UPM Grada panels mould is currently reworked for the spring-back of the 13mm panel that we got on the 1st samples. 88.4 degrees gave an acceptable fit but we will give a 88.7-degree radius a try. We also will do samples with walnut now to see if veneering on side will have an impact on spring-back in the material. 

All these actions and corrections are enhancements, and we are confident that we can, even notwithstanding some improvements, assemble the speaker if we want to. No more.. will it work?

We have made progress with the port's design but still need to make a few more decisions. It will be a carbon moulded part, but not sure if the external flare will be machined from aluminium or whether we can are going to expose the carbon fibre maybe as a cheeky hint of what will never be visible to the listener, the advance monocoque carbon fibre structure around which the speaker is designed. 

Terminals, cross-over layout and other details are well advanced and although still not final, need not delay the 1st build. The same with signage etc. We have mapped a process of how we will assemble and this, of course, needs to be tested. It is quite intricate as there will probably only one of 2 ways of doing it. Recall besides the port and crossover there won't be a bolt, screw or any other fasteners in sight.

I am tempted to show you pics of our work, all the mistakes and changes but maybe at a later stage. Let me see if we cannot surprise you all
with photographs of the 1st production units later in March. Maybe even an initial auditioning of the 1st units for a few interested enthusiasts, not a formal launch but a sort of preview.  :dop: Knowing Alex and my style and personalities we will still make many improvements over the next few months, so no promises. Oh yes, quickly looked, and realised that I said in my 1st post in this thread it will be 2016... so yes no promises.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 03:44:57 PM by Air »

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »
Just a slight diversion but I am really proud of Alex's work in 3d printing some of the scale models for the Cape Town's project to complete the uncompleted highways around CPT.  ;)
http://traveller24.news24.com/TravelPlanning/6-possible-ways-cape-towns-unfinished-freeway-bridges-will-be-transformed-20170307