Poll

Please indicate what kind of loudspeakers do you use in your main listening environment (RRP ZAR)

Small Bookshelf-below R20K
7 (6.7%)
Standmount Between R20-R50K
9 (8.6%)
Standmount between R50k-R100k
2 (1.9%)
Floorstander below R20k
24 (22.9%)
Floorstander between R20k-R50k
31 (29.5%)
Floorstander between R50K and R100K
10 (9.5%)
Floorstander over R100k
11 (10.5%)
Planars or electrostatics (can incl  conventional bass drivers)
8 (7.6%)
Horns (primarily based on typology)
3 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: Air Loudpeakers  (Read 11009 times)

Online gavinbirss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Air Loudpeakers
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2017, 09:55:32 AM »
Is HP (high power) mode a switch on the crossover?

Online Air

• Commercial Member
  • Music lover and involed in industry
    • Airmusic
« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2017, 10:11:58 AM »
Gavin,
A switch will be the easy way to implement this idea but I have in mind to have 3 binding posts, one for the negative connection, a positive for the DM(direct mode) and an alternate positive for the HP(high power). Both the low pass xover for the bass unit and the high pass xover for the mid unit are changed in the HP version. Both the crossover point and slopes will be effected.

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2017, 03:14:28 PM »
Hurry up! I can't wait to see this project completed. Too bad I'm missing out on hearing it.
It's only hifi people....

Online Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2017, 06:14:29 PM »
Hurry up! I can't wait to see this project completed.
Atjan you have no idea on just how keen and excited we are to get it done. I try to curb my enthusiasm in dealing with all our suppliers not to put to much pressure on them. It takes some serious self-control but we want to bring all with us and make them all part of the vision and project.

Atjan, have a missed a post or 2? Are you no longer in SA but in Aus?

Maybe not very exciting but here are screenshots of the envisaged port. It will be molded and then slot in a similar aluminum machined flare at the opening to the outside at the back of the speaker. I find port tuning so very critical every time that I do experiments. It is influenced by many factors and simulations are only a start. Besides the crossover resistance stemming from the bass/midrange inductors, I also found that stuffing in the working enclosures is very critical as well as external factors such as different amps and placement. Because of this, We will make the port, at least the 1st unit or 2, in such a way that we can fine tune the port almost as the last part of the design when all else is done and dusted.

Offline HBAutomation

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2017, 08:39:14 PM »
Hurry up! I can't wait to see this project completed.
Me too!
Looks as though due diligence is at play and rightly so! Good luck with your endeavour. Looking forward to a spectacular review/s from all here!  :groovy:

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2017, 10:34:36 AM »
@Air
Yep, I jumped ship.  :D
It's only hifi people....

Online Air

• Commercial Member
    • Airmusic
« Reply #186 on: February 07, 2017, 12:24:42 PM »
Maybe time for a quick update:
1)We are pushing hard to get into the scheduling of the suppliers, especially for the Aluminium parts
2)Part of the chemicals required for the carbon fibre carcass was in short supply and its seems that SA Customs also did not play game- resolved now though
3)In the process of deciding on whether to machine an aluminium plug for the port's mould or whether we could get away with a 3rd printed plug to pull the mould from.
4)Waiting for 1st samples of anodising

The pic is a peep into the speaker; the bass driver, aluminium torque rods and brace, port and where the crossover will be fitted are visible

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:29:59 PM by Air »