Using an old CD player to Make a DAC

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanB

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
An off the wall question to the guys who know what they are talking about.

I have an old Adcom CD shuttle that has a really nice sound - I think.  Its specs are quite impressive, twin 20 bit Bur-brown DAC's (If I remember rightly) and the analogue section operates in class A.

The mechanism and CD reading part of the player are starting to get unreliable - it wont read 50% of my CD's, so its on its way out.

I was in any case thinking about going solid state and getting a Mede8er or PS3 or something to serve FLAC files.

My question then is this:

Why cant I get someone smart to salvage the relevant bits out of the Adcom and assemble them into a stand alone stereo DAC, that I could use with Mede8er or something?  Surely all the necessary stuff is already in there?  I'm quite happy with the quality of the sound of the Adcom, its not high-end but its above average for a mid level CD player IMO. 

Can anyone give me an idea of whether this is:
a) Possible
b) Practical
c) Cost effective

And if so who would you suggest that could do this for me (put it all into a rudimentary black box etc - I'm not fussy about looks etc), and what would they charge?