Some advice on a DIY stepped attenuator.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostinthemachine

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
An earlier topic sparked new interest in a stepped attenuator.

I have two old Davin stepped attenuator units. Unfortunately they do not work for line-level signals because they are configured for 600 ohm balanced line (old SABC gear).

I have prepared the one for a new resistor set by de-soldering the old resistor ladder. Being balanced I can use one unit for stereo with new independent resistor ladders. The unit has 31 positions.

Searching the web I have downloaded an Excel sheet with a complex calculator for the resistor values. I am however a bit unsure about how to use it.

What is meant by the following:
"Desired dB minimum attenuation"?
"Resistor to selector switch"?

I feel that I am not getting the correct values from the calc-sheet as the last 19 steps shows the same resistor value. I would like a full range log attenuation scale.

Guess that 50 kohm log is optimal? Single Series Single Shunt Stepped Attenuator type.

Thanx in advance.

Calc-sheet can be obtained from this website: http://www.siteswithstyle.com/VoltSecond/12_posistion_shunt/12_Position_Pure_Shunt.html