Amplifier related questions

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have some questions that I hope you can help me with?!  Please bare in mind that I have no knowledge of electronics.

I have been looking for a amplifier to drive my Mark & Daniel Rubies:  These two-way bookshelf require lots of drive and current.  I used a class D amp, which despite impressive ratings just did not do it for these speakers.  I love music and 2 channel remain my first love.  Like a lot of people these days, I have to combine HT with stereo, plainly because I have only one living area.  That leaves me with two options:  1)  Use a power amp with my Rotel RSX-1055, or 2) Use a dedicated stereo integrated with a HT bypass function. 

Integrated amp with HT bypass function:  This is fortunately becoming more common.  Krell, PS Audio, Naim,  Harmon Kardan.  Yet this is a feature that you mostly find in the 30k bracket.  I unfortunately do not have that kind of money to spend on my toys.

The first question is:  Why is this not more readily offered on integrated amplifiers.  Is it difficult electronics?  Is it expensive to add, and therefore not worth offering at lower levels?  Just think about the possibility of adding a VA Predator or Exclame to drive your front speakers, without the need to take analogue through your HT receiver?  ;D

Second question:  What parameters to look at when judging an amplifier's power to drive difficult loads?  It seems the more I read about the subject, the more uncertain I become. 

Thirdly:  How difficult a load is this speaker:  Maximus Ruby Nominal impedance 3 - 6 Ohms and Sens= 82,5.

I would appreciate any response

Thank you

Daniel