PALADIN: Power amplifier control unit

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimGore

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
...obviously this has to be the next project  ;)

There is no specific date for this to commence, but I would like to start identifying some functionality in the meantime.

I tend to move quickly when I get my mind set on things, so this *could* potentially become something real in the very near future.  Perhaps even a couple of weeks - let's see how things go.

Off the top of my head, these are the things I would want in a power amplifier controller:

1.  Latching circuit to allow us to use one of those great looking alu / stainless steel momentary switches.
2.  Soft start function with user selectable delay period.  Perhaps something like 1 second, 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds.
3.  Off-board soft start power resistors so the user can choose the size of resistors needed to control the inrush current.
4.  Speaker output relay.
5.  Speaker output DC protection via the output relay.
6.  Amplifier signal input relay.
7.  Power up sequencing.
8.  Power down sequencing.
9.  (2x) Active heatsink temperature monitoring with auto shutdown.
10.  Amplifier Power supply current (Amps) monitoring with auto shutdown if overload.  (Not too sure about this one)
11.  12V trigger power-up function
12.  (2x) DC Fan controller

I don't think we really want an LCD display for a power amplifier?  In theory you could show things like heatsink temp, fan speed, and PSU current draw on it, so it
could be done.  Just not sure if it's something people will want.

Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts and ideas with me.  The more input we get, the better the end result will be!  Please also speak up if you think some of the functionality listed above is unnecessary.

Kind Regards,
Ian.

Latest posts