New vs old instruments

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ampdog

R.I.P. 23 June 2022
Reaction score
Just a general remark to everybody who are looking at second hand equipment of several years ago:

I have noticed several times on the forum that folks find enticing equipment for sale, but add the lament '.... but it is already X years old' (meaning the design).

From a design point of view it must be realised that an amplifier (say) does not suddenly become obsolete the moment a new model is introduced. Yesteryear's models are mostly 'upgraded' by newer more integrated ICs, better remote control etc., i.e. better 'bells and whistles'. The advantage is often just an economical one from the manufacturer's point of view (the 'better economy' going into the coffers of the manufacturer rather than being passed through to the consumer). Designs themselves have not necessarily improved from a better sound point of view - one notices this from available circuit diagrams. [In fact, many so-called 'dedicated' chip amps have topologies inferior to the best discrete designs.]

One does not talk of 35+ years ago; even then there were excellent designs - but semiconductors did rather develop. But equipment from say 1990+ (the good brands) may not sound noticably poorer than the umpteen thousand Rand contemporary model. Folks often sell because of the 'Jones's' effect- to the advantage of the rest of us.

Latest posts