Advice needed on what amplifier

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Weston

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi guys
My wife bought me the Zound ZA4 i pod docking station system (two speakers with built in amplifier) but its a total piece of poo so I am returning it today. It keeps cutting out if you play music for lengthy time periods plus the build quality doesnt seem up to scratch.

I need some help on the next step.... I still have my Polk Audio RTi4's bookshelf speaker and I was thinking of hooking them up to an amplifier and then plug the i pod into the amplifier. I presume this would work wouldnt it?

I want to use this setup as an alternative to using my main system and it would primarily be used for parties so would be running for extended periods at high volume.

I have listed the specs of the speakers below and I was hoping that one of the more technically experienced members could help me in terms of listing a couple of amplifiers that would match the speakers plus be robust enough to handle the work load! Lastly, if I can find the right match, does anyone have an amplifier in this spec range for sale?

Polk Audio RTi 4 speakers
Electrical
Overall Frequency Response 50Hz-27kHz
Lower -3dB Limit 60Hz
Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power 20-125 w/channel
Efficiency 89 dB
Crossover 1.9kHz, 12dB/octave high and low pass 
Inputs Dual (bi-amp) gold plated 5-way binding posts

Thanks
Daniel