SURROUND SOUND SPEAKERS: BOOKSHELVE VS FLOORSTANDING MAINS

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughHBez

Reaction score
As a question, why do surround sound packages come with floorstanding mains ( most cases)
I have a quad speaker system, 12L front and rear with quad centre dual subwoofers running in stereo, electronics is Sony based.  To me and my ears my system sounds great if not brilliant.

Every dealer I have spoken to ito speaker choice and set up has indicated that the optimum setting for an AV system speakers should be around the 80Hertz mark leaving the rest up to the subwoofers to do their work below this frequency.

This is my confusion, why then market AV systems with floorstanding mains that reach well below 80Hertz.

As far as I am concerend, for the average Joe who can afford as AV system to more or less the value of R35,000.00, decent bookshelves with dual subs will provide the impact required at a lot less money than what some of the marketed speaker packages with floorstanders will.

If you have subs why get floorstanding mains, I realize that most people use their AV system for music as well but again decent bookshelves with decent subs will provide good quality sound. 

Latest posts