Oppie rolling draft results

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipwelder

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I took the plunge, mainly due to info. overload occurring in this thread: http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,2738.30.html

I got 20 lm4562's, and put three in Guillaume's proto phono pre (to replace 2604's) just to hear if one notices anything, as the dual version of the pre-amp boards are still on their way, herewith the draft results. If you don't want a long read skip to last paragraph

Disclaimer they've been in for about 12hrs now been playing tunes perhaps 3, switched on for all 12. I listened right at the beginning, left it, listened again after an hour then quickly while brewing coffee - yes I do work at home... useful innit... it is playing in the lounge softly at the mo. So yep my ears may have acclimatized, but I suspect not... Also they are playing into the unknown quad oppies of the pre-amp - so I suspect one can't take the results too serious.

First listen, bliksem they be bright sounding, I'm sure the bass is there, as it whallops every now and again, but the top is a bit much so it pulls your attention. results in exagerated surface noise... a bit fatigueing even after 10min.

After an hour or so - second listen, bliksem they still be bright, not so offensive, but still - imaging a bit better,  something sounds shall we say "tight" for want of a better word like the instruments have little pigeon holes they are stuffed into... ::) I know... it's the best I can come up with... Not that fatigueing, still somewhat.

This morning's listen: Tightness still there a little, not the pigeon holed instruments tightness, soundstage now more relaxed, and the detail is being filled in around the instruments now- but let's say it is just not the free-flowing 2604 sound, think the bright topend prolly to blame - both ways. Detail is certainly quite a bit better, the cymbals etc not yet real, but they are more detailed... 

So over the weekend I'll be able to say whether I need to do some modding - for it to sound good overall. Right now it remains in the still promising, but flawed department, not the ic's but the solution as a whole and then when the other boards arrive I'll do a 2604 vs 4562 comparison again. I suspect we'll have to tame the top-end by massaging the PSU a little, although the caps in the circuit and psu are quite nice - I think if we can refine it a little it will work. So ja Hi-Phibian and Ludo and Gert and AV and all the proper designers online were right... you can't just pop it in and expect miracles... but it is promising.

Latest posts