The ?VOLKSAMP?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostinthemachine

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
The ?VOLKSAMP?

The NAD 3020 can be summarized as the ?VOLKSAMP?, an amplifier for the people just like the Beetle was the ?VOLKSWAGEN?.

Yesterday I decided, on visiting the town center, I should pop by the one of three swap-shops doing trade in our ?one-horse town?. Usually they have nothing of real value, chip-board closets, cheap TVs and ply-wood guitars. Yesterday turned out to be my lucky day! To my utter amazement there, between Fung Cha DVD players and Sakyno ?Multi-Channel? amplifiers stood a help-less little NAD 3020 with a bright orange sticker on its face. After recovering from my mild case of ?luck-struck-hee-bee-gee-bees? I grabbed it for a mere R385-00! Wow!

The amplifier most certainly did not belong to a loving owner. It was extremely dusty and downright filthy. After I tested it to confirm it worked I took on the challenge to make it shine again (*).

Upon opening it up I found that someone replaced the mains transformer for some reason or another. I didn?t worry as the amplifier performed electrically as it is supposed to. The repair-man also connected the LED power indicator to the one tx-tap with a pair of resistors ? reason unknown.

I stripped it down completely, removing every last panel, button and screw. I then carefully removed the main PCB and prepped it to be washed with strong detergent (a trick I learnt from a key player in the local hi-fi industry!). I carefully scrubbed the PCB until I was certain all gunk was removed. The procedure was then followed a good rinse with clean, cold water to remove all trances of soap. It was dried using a ETI hairdryer (the type that can burn the hair from your head).

Before I assembled the amplifier again I connected all wires to run a check on it. I also restored the LED connection to its correct place on the PCB. All was fine.

Assembly was a breeze. I even managed to fit a brand new power cord with a two-prong plug for the sake of neatness (*).

The amplifier now took residence in my main system. Its sound is punchy with great bottom-end grunt. Highs are remarkably extended but can, at times, be a bit brittle. The phono-stage works a treat with my Fidelity Research SUT and Dynavector MC cartridge.
Running the E.A.R. 834P phono-stage (equipped with a Alps attenuator) into the LAB Input (which bypasses the pre-amp section) provides an exciting listening experience from the analogue source.

What a great find and what a great little amplifier! The 3020 may be a budget amplifier but its sound suggests otherwise. It shows that a piece of audio equipment doesn?t have to feature a 25mm thick face-plate from aluminum to sound good. Its not the parts that you use, its how you employ it. The secret is in the design, not the styling. To the designer of the NAD 3020, I salute you!

*See photos.

Attachments

• 2009_05_15 005s.jpg
    2009_05_15 005s.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 2009_05_15 006s.jpg
    2009_05_15 006s.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 134