Introducing the M1

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've decided to publish my latest loudspeaker design so that it can sort of pressure me into actually finishing it. I have not built a speaker for myself in... many years. Or, rather I have not completed one in years (apart from what I have built for others).

Background
Not too long ago I owned a pair of Yamaha NS-1000N loudspeakers. If you're not familiar with them, google them. They were very much advanced when they were developed decades ago, and still performed very well when I heard them. What I liked about them: very low distortion/colouration, incredibly detailed (high resolution), very solidly built. What they lacked: bass "kick" (bass was a bit too tight to party on), mediocre imaging. Good, but potentially undesirable: highly revealing of poor source material (rendered some CD's unlistenable).

The NS1000's have since moved on to another owner, but I had spent a lot of time investigating and contemplating how I would improve upon it, should I have the chance to re-engineer it. Well, that did not happen, but the concepts still stuck. And now I have the opportunity to implement some of those improvements. The drivers that the M1 uses are not exotic, but they are very good nonetheless (and let it be known that very good - or perhaps simply expensive - loudspeakers have been made with some commercially available off-the-shelf drivers http://ldsg.snippets.org/sect-14.php).

Design Brief
  • 3-way design (for low midrange distortion and superior power response)
  • Bass reflex enclosure (for extended LF response, LF efficiency)
  • Bevelled baffle edges (for low diffraction ripple effects)
  • Centrally-aligned drivers (for symmetrical power response; should ensure good imaging)
  • "Old school" proportions (modern slimline floorstanders don't really look the part; this one should look hopefully look stocky and tough)
  • 4th-order crossover slopes (to minimise driver distortion from overdrive/over-excursion at the low end and cone breakup at the high end)
  • Wood veneer finish (the NS1000's had it, but they were painted black(!) )

The Name
I'm calling this a monitor (thus M1) for no technical reason. "Monitor" just sounds appropriate for a speaker in this format. So its name is M1.

In Use
The first iteration of this design (may very well be the only version) will be designed for placement on a stand about 0.5 to 1m away from the wall. It is rear-ported, so will always need rear breathing space.

Pictures to follow...