Lessons learnt

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I have some questions and statements?  I am really looking forward to your replies?

Is the most expensive product necessarily the better sounding one!!

This is a common misconception:  Certainly some products irrespective of price has a certain musical magic.  When putting a system together, merely getting the most expensive cdp, amp and speakers does not necessarily lead to musical satisfaction.  But this is difficult to apply:  Difficult to trust your ears when a product sounding better is half the price of its competition.

AVR's cannot be enjoyable stereo listening devices:

When you are considering that most people do not have the funds or rooms to have two systems, is the level of stereo playback still poor from AVR's?  Unfortunately I find that these days the stereo playback quality of AVR's are hardly mentioned.  Actually it seems that some reviewer's ask forgiveness for talking about stereo playback. 

Something which I believe is not emphasized enough:  Synergy!!

I have a pair of Mark & Daniel Rubies, which I have been driving in a combined setup with a PS Audio GCC 250 (250W digital amp) as power amp to Rotel RSX-1055.  For many months I felt something was missing and that I am not getting the best from my speakers.  Then a couple of weeks ago I decided to remove the PS Audio and just go with the Rotel.  Within the first couple of minutes I was now hearing was smiling from ear to ear.  This seems contrary to expectations: a 12 y old AVR musically more enjoyable than a $3000 stereo amp.  Of course this is a bit generalized as we all know that there are many influencing factors.  But still the one experience is much more enjoyable than the other.

Will a high end product like Krell KAV 400Xi sound better than Nad C275??  Will a high end CDP from 8 y ago sound better than a Product of similar current value??  At what point does a component become old?  My perception is that if processors are involved, newer is probably better?? (within reason, naturally)  What about AVRs? 

Comparing AVRs in a certain manufacturers line-up:  What changes between cheaper and more expensive models??  Is it just more power?  When I look at the specs I seldomly see much difference is SND or others??  Do the Processors improve, or are they using better DACs.