Has anyone seen my baby?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Goodmorning Gents ;D

The Triumph TR3A shown here (sorry about the dreadful pic) was owned by jors truly for about 6 years. I sold it in 1974/75? and I've never seen her again.

Yup, the most stupid thing I ever did :-[ Reason for selling? Too low, too fast and too draughty. According to the little wife.

It was originally bought sight unseen for R500 from a used car dealership in central Cape Town. It was in storage at a classy panelshop Atkinsons Coachworks in Paardeneiland and due for a makeover in British Racing Green.

I bought the car in 1967 or thereabouts and the dealer was instructed to halt any bodywork until I had a chance to check the mechanicals.

When I went to collect the car a few days later, preparations for the respray were too advanced to stop so I let them proceed as it was a fine deal and a good paintshop.

Just before paintwork started, I went to look and saw a pale-blue TR with CX plates and 4 good Goodyear G800's. All the trims and top was brown.

So, after a 2-week wait, I got my car back done in immaculate British Racing Green. During the following months, I had a new soft top made in black canvas, new black upholstery, dashboard re-cover in black and new sidescreens.

All work done was of a very high standard. A Scotsman painted the car, the upholstery was done to perfection and the soft top and tonneau cover was also made by recent emigres from England.

Initially, only minor mechanical work like replacement of front suspension bushes and tuneup of those twin SU carburettors was needed.

Midway through my ownership, I pulled the heavy Massey Ferguson (vaaljapie) tractor motor just for the hell of it, using a rope tackle with wooden pulleys and gave it a complete overhaul.

I remember when we came to measure the crankshaft, it was found to be 5-thou" oval. So a new crank from a MF tractor was found and fitted with new bearing shells.

Those were the days...lots of energy then.

mafioso

Attachments

• Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 21