Yes you can do REAL Hi Fi on a budget

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Antman

After seeing some of the recent prices of new Hi Fi equipment, it does indeed look like this is the domain of the very wealthy or those with VERY large loans,

A few months ago I decided to see what I could manage on a very small budget to get excellent Hi Fi (new) at a real budget price.

I started by buying the new NAD C315BEE 40w into 8 Ohms budget amplifier and the new NAD C515BEE CDP, both were around R2900 each - total R5800. ( I know these have gone up slightly).

I then purchased a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 Standmount speakers at R2900. Total R8700.

I used these with some existing stands, interconnects and speaker wire I have had for years so for a total of R8700 I had a system with superb imaging, taut bass and pleanty of detail and slam. I was blown away.

I then decided to move my system to a far bigger room (strange layout - 10m x 3m) and decided that the Monitor Audio's were going to get lost in there - I went in search of the best bang for buck Floorstanders I could find - not expecting much and worrying that my 'little' amp wouldn't drive them sufficiently.

I managed to find a pair of new Wharfedale Diamond 9.5's (3 way floorstanders) for R3300.

The result - astounding! More than enough headroom on the amp! I have owned many components costing 4 times the price, but this really does compare favourably - I really believe you can get a slice of the high end for relatively small money.

Latest posts