Bass management -- "Large" vs "Small"

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaughan

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think this is a very interesting topic to discuss/debate and although somewhat controversial, I feel that some here will benefit by the time this thread has run it's course. This is also a topic that frequently comes up at my AV store.

All receivers/processors employ a bass management scheme that will redirect bass from the main channels (and subsequent channels) and send it to a subwoofer. One has the option of setting their speakers to "large" or to "small"; sending a full range signal to the speaker or sending a bandwidth limited signal determined by the crossover frequency. I would like to know from those who believe that speakers should be set to "large" and give their reasons.

Why would you choose "large" and what disadvantages do you believe you will gain from setting speakers to "small" ? My position is that it is beneficial for almost all systems to be set to "small", even large floor standing speakers. I would like to know your thoughts and I encourage debate on this.

Regards,

Latest posts