P.Audio BM8 CXA cube

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber_MG

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been thinking a little about a cube-shaped satellite for these 8" co-axes and have come up with a preliminary design and will likely submit a cutting list soon.

Now the first concern with a cube is the equality of its dimensions leading to cab resonances coinciding, so the idea is to baffle the interior space and to use that baffle to build up to some form of helmholz resonator and to beast deal with resonances.

Hornresp has recently allowed one to model up inverted horns and I am using exactly this to model up a little ~8l cube. A schematic diagram of this appears below (note it is an equivalence model and is assumed to be axi-symmetrical and there is zero damping in the model, not even that of air). Please note that if one were to "flatten" the dimensions the taper on the port appears much smaller (~150cm^2) and the net acoustical result would be close to an inverse taper ML-TQWT

One could also simplify this and merely use a normal port, but I wanted to try something different and to play around with resonance canceling techniques.

Schematic (volume is that of the port taper segment)

And the response (the resonances are over-stated even for a real undamped box but give an indication of their frequency and thus the acoustical dimension of counter-measures)

Latest posts