Listening to 2 channel music

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabet

R.I.P.
Reaction score
Soapbox time ;D

After we(the royal we  ;D) hijacked the "What power amp" thread about how to listen to music, I thought I would start a new thread concerning listening to 2-channel music.

I realise many people listen to 2-channel music using some kind of DSP to utilise all the available channels on their AV Receiver, and although I can't say that is wrong(I do feel it's wrong), my personal feeling is that you misleading yourself if you think that you are listening to quality sound.

To me if you want to listen to music other than having something playing in the background, you should make the time to sit down and enjoy your hobby, you have payed a lot of money(or invested a lot of effort) to acquire your setup. Also if you then listen to a CD, forget all those DSPs and other sound-enhancing gadgets and listen to the music as it was intended, in 2-channel mode.

Something else I want to highlight is that in my opinion(for what it's worth) the majority of AVR's, if not all, do not come close to a dedicated stereo setup regarding 2-channel playback. These include the AVRs with Pure Direct and dimming of the displays, et al. A middle ground can be found as eluded to by Zeabre, by adding a stereo amp to drive the front speakers and connecting the CDP to that amp, but a little effort is required.

BUT, if you use a stereo amp to drive your front speakers and utilise that amp when listening to music, what is the use if you don't sit down to listen to the music? ;)

What value do you get out of your sound setup? The enjoyment of taking the time to appreciate it or merely the bragging rights to be able to say "I have payed Rxxxx for it"?

Have I previously done exactly what I say is wrong? Off course I did and I thought it sounded amazing if I was outside and could still hear the bass pumping being artifically enhanced using some DSP

Okay let me get off my Soap Box now, hopefully I have not annoyed too many people :D

Latest posts