Some just-for-fun speakers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
How many unfinished speaker projects do I have?

Well, there's the Introducing the M1. This one's serious, and will get done someday.
Then there's Shaun's Translam HT uhmmm... that one's way on the back-burner.
And then there's Tripoly. There's no hope for that one. Not until I find an 8" woofer that actually works in that size box...

Oh, and the Meridians (hehe). Them ones I need to triamp, with active crosssover. Lots of work gonna go into developing the amps and the crossover. Measure this one in years(!).

But I still want to build loudspeakers, in spite of my excuse of not getting enough time to build boxes. It seems this time I have run out of excuses. I'm always on the lookout for boxes to recycle. To launch my exploration into building the Meridian crossovers I wanted to build a speaker with heads. The Heads is what Meridian calls the pyramid-shaped enclosure for the midrange and tweeter drivers (see the Meridian thread for photos). I have a pair of KEF C15 satellites that uses their famous B110-series driver but the enclosure is poorly built and sounds way too boxy. A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a pair of 8-sided Tannoy enclosures at the Milnerton flea market. These looked like they would do the job. In spite of their construction (check the pics that will follow later) they appeared to be well damped. They did not have their original drivers any more; these had been replaced by cheap paper tweeters and 3" Sakyno car speakers. But none of that mattered. I had my own plans.

[to be continued...]