What power amplifer?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Weston

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi guys. I am thinking of running a power amp through my Onkyo 705 receiver so that I can drive my front Polk Audio RTi8 speakers on their own. I have never run this type of setup before and I was wondering if the pros could give me some advice on this. The 705 specs are as follows (I also dont really understand what this means)

Rated power output (FTC) 100w min cont power, 8ohm loads, 2 channels
Rated power output (IEC) 7 channels x 160w at 6 ohms, i channel driven

The 705 currently drives the fronts in a bi-amp set up and then I have a centre channel, a set of rears and a sub running.

If I run a power amp for the front pair of speakers, how does one decide what amp to choose? Is it based on the speaker capacity? If so, the specs on the RTi8's from the Polk website says that the recommended amplifier for these speakers = 20-250w per channel.

I guess the most important question here is would the right power amplifier make a big difference to the way in which the fronts are driven ie. better and more powerful sound quality? Does a power amp set up also mean that my 705 will no longer be using the front channels?

Hope someone can help and don't forget that I am very much a noob so the technical explanation may whoosh right over me!

Oh ja, good morning by the way!!

Latest posts