Dedicated audio PC

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karabo C

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

Been lurking around the forum for the past year or so but never posted anything until now.

I?ve been thinking of putting together an audio-dedicated pc to incorporate into my sound system.
This is what I have in mind:
- a low-end-ish  P3 based pc with a video on-board motherboard
- about 500MB RAM,
- A high grade sound card with a digital output to hook up to a separate DAC (I have my eye on one by M-Audio)
- a hard-drive to store my entire music collection on - to be harvested from my MVix which has failed to impress

One critical consideration will be reducing the amount of noise generated by the PC, particularly from the power supply and processor fans. I suppose using something like Dynamat on the PC case will help to reduce vibration. I?m thinking of getting one of those old-school, thin, horizontal cases that I can elegantly fit into my stand with the rest of the equipment.

Video quality is not a priority now. I?m still using a CRT display. Perhaps later on when I want to expand the video capabilities of the system, I can upgrade to a fancier (and probably noisier) graphics card.

Alternatives such as TViX or the Logitech Squeezebox are a bit pricey for me at the moment.

Has anyone tried a setup like this with success? Any suggestions?

Latest posts