New build

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber_MG

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've last built anything much, but I'm commencing a new build for my HT. Not planning but started :) My CNC Router is working really nicely and it's time I start cutting my projects in stead of others'.

The mains are an 8" HE satellite with baffles CNC cut out in one piece. As some of you know I have been busy re-building the pair of spherical waveguides that were aesthetically fouled up up with resin a while back and while I bought the 2" Maple planks which go into a 20t press for the replacement of these I found some 320mm wide 50mm Maple planks and hit the card. If I find the 8" Satelites lacking in the dynamics department I'll move on to 15" 2-ways up fornt (which have other directivity related upshots too).

At first I was planning an MDF prototype, but you live once so here goes. If the HF throat needs re-work I'll be able to machine the replacement out of Ali and bolt it in as a replacement. In the past surprisingly small changes in throat geometry have had a surprising influence on the top end of the waveguide's on-axis HF null.

For subwoofers all I can say is that after a 5 week wait Disaki cores notified me earlier today that my order is ready for collection...and I am going to put multiple subwoofer locations to the test to mitigate the sparse mode LF region and go for 2-way bass and focus more energy higher up the frequency range.

I have a cunning plan for making end-caps for these cores (sonotube equivalent) that involves a router and some hardwood wedges (and some thought that my router was now obsolete).

Latest posts