DIY Audio Showcase 2013 Gauteng

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdlsys

R.I.P 03/2024 Vinylist, DIYer
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
It's ON people...

Showcase objectives:
To demonstrate the DIY projects of the AVForums community including the spectacular achievements in meticulous restoration of vintage gear (yes Steerpike, I mean YOU! Darryl...? Anybody else? Now's the time), AND to award "The Best ..." as voted by those present.

(Updated 2013/02/11)
Please note that the exhibition is reserved for the DIY efforts of the forum members only. Friends & family are welcome to join the AVForums and register if they would like to exhibit.

Signup sheet is slowly filling up with details of the equipment that will exhibited. I expect that there will be some items that will be for display only but I hope that majority of the items will be demonstrated. Remember to put a * next to the item that will be fully demonstrated. Star-less items are for display only.

We are planning for a short (5min) speech by the exhibitors introducing their gear. Please remember to put a * next to your name if you would like to extend your speech time (10-15min?) if it's a presentation of multiple items, or you simply need a little more time.

Venue:
has been identified and confirmed. Big round of applause for Pat (u235) who has kindly volunteered their business premises for this event.
Location is Waterfall Business Park (off Bekker Street), Midrand, 200m from Allendale offramp. Being inside the large office complex, we inherit the guarded entrance, lots of parking, and VERY nice premises for this purpose, incl. the smoker's balcony :thumbs:

Since we will have multiple (big, medium, small) rooms at our disposal, we'll try to arrange multiple full setups, where some of the equipment will be shared as needed per room (power amps, speakers, ...) allowing the "powerless" equipment (TTs, DACs, Preamps, ...) to be demonstrated.
Obviously, we will aim to have the "room-speakers" in one and "room-amps" in the other so that all combinations are possible.
This will also allow us to keep the compatible equipment together and focus (or rather divide >:D) the analogue and digital interests.

Show date: 4. May

Time:
I think that 10:00 to 16:00 would be just about enough. This will of course have to be confirmed with Pat and the Office block management.

Catering:
I will investigate the bang for the buck options and update this post. 

Ticketing:
Ticket fees collected are supposed to cover the catering cost and provide meaningful awards for "Best ...." DIY projects. Details later. Of the top of my head, I propose a R100 entry fee.

Sponsorships:
Working on that.

Media:
Members of the media are very welcome. As a matter of fact, spread the word around. Who knows, with some media coverage we might even be able to turn this into a proper annual event.

Fine print:
- We plan to provide the snacks, soft drinks and beer. Feel free to contribute ... sweets & wine, for example.
- Out-of-towners enjoy free entrance! You will be required to show your Orknie or Klerksdorp proof of residence though!
- At the moment, attendance is limited to max. 60 people. We'll double check the premises; the rooms and the flow, and advise on this later.

Sign-ups:
I've created a shared Dropbox folder with spreadsheet containing the visitor / exhibitor details.
PM me your email address to be registered for the Show and to gain access to view and edit the spreadsheet (#of tickets, on-show equipment details, catering special requirements...)

Ticket sales and equipment list will be closed at 17:00 on Monday 22nd April.

Welcome to the 2013 AVForums.co.za Gauteng DIY show! Dop

Please note: All event updates will be reflected in this post.