Author Topic: Can I Bi-Amp the Emotiva XPA-5?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline MadHat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
Can I Bi-Amp the Emotiva XPA-5?
« on: December 07, 2011, 09:16:27 am »
I am a proud owner of the Emotiva XPA-5 (Bought it from a guy on the Forum).

I love the amp and is using it with my Yamaha Z7 AV Receiver. The XPA -5 is driving my left and right front speakers as well as the centre (Using only 3 of the 5 channels) I am using the Z7 to drive the surround rear and surround backs. (Using Vivid Audio K1 Speakers)

What I would like to do is to Bi-Amp the XPA-5 on the front left and right speakers. As soon as I connect, the amps starts blinking red on 2 channels and go into protection mode

Setup

From the Yamaha:
Pre-Out Left Front an RCA splitter to Channel 1 and 2 RCA in on Emotiva
Pre-Out Centre, an RCA to Channel 3 on Emotiva
Pre-Out Right Front an RCA splitter to Channel 4 and 5 RCA in on Emotiva

From Emotiva:
From Emotiva - Channel 1 to HMF on Left Front
From Emotiva - Channel 2 to LF on Left Front
From Emotiva - Channel 3 to Centre
From Emotiva - Channel 4 to HMF on Right Front
From Emotiva - Channel 5 to LF on Right Front

I have confirmed with Vivid Audio that there is no electrical connection between the HMF and LF sections of the K1, and that there are a discrete set of terminals for each section.

Can 2 channels be used for the left front, 2 channels for the right front and the remaining for the centre?

Please donít tell me an XPA-2 will sort all my problems as I already know that. Shipping to sunny South Africa and our currency value against the mighty dollar is making that option a bit problematic.

Looking forward to hear from the Guruís

Offline JimGore

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Can I Bi-Amp the Emotiva XPA-5?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 09:51:49 am »
I dont see any reason this should not work. The protection circuit may have a problem with lower input impedance caused by the splitter, or your speakers may have an impedance dip when driving induvidual drivers.

Question: have you removed the connecting plates / cables between terminals on your speaker binding posts?

Ian

Offline MadHat

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 10:17:15 am »
I dont see any reason this should not work. The protection circuit may have a problem with lower input impedance caused by the splitter, or your speakers may have an impedance dip when driving induvidual drivers.

Question: have you removed the connecting plates / cables between terminals on your speaker binding posts?

Ian

Hi Ian

100% on the Bi-Amping - Using 2 cables per speaker, one for the mids and one for the highs no connection plates.

The Vivid Audio K1's has 4 drivers, a mid and a tweeter per speaker. Bi-Amping just would sweeten the deal!

Offline MadHat

• AVForums Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 08:36:04 pm »
Got it sorted. Problem was a faulty splitter, brand new one so I never expected the problem to be there. Running 2 x XPA-5s, 10 channels running like a charm,  bi-amping fronts and center, with the rest on the Rears. Thank you for all the advice!

Online Telephono

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 04:48:26 am »
*jealous*
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.