Author Topic: DSTV HD PVR Standby  (Read 2362 times)

Offline SAman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
DSTV HD PVR Standby
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:12:57 pm »
I set my HD PVR to enter standby after 3 hrs, but I still hear what sounds like the hard-drive spinning constantly in standby. Is there any way to put it into proper standby to save energy & minimize wear & tear on the components, apart from switching off the plug at the wall socket of course?  ;D   I don't actual record anything ever, so as far as I'm concerned the hard-disk may as well be off all the time.

Offline Homer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: DSTV HD PVR Standby
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:47:34 pm »
There are a couple of real Dstv experts on the forum. And I'm not one of them!

But here's my two cents anyway.

As far as I know, you can deactivate the PVR function of the decoder, meaning you cannot record, rewind, fast forward or pause. Whether this will shut down the hard drive of the PVR completely and sort out your problem, I don't know.

Offline SAman

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:04:30 pm »
I don't mind if I have to disable the pvr functionality completely to stop the drive, Homer. As long as it stops the drive, fan or whatever it is, spinning. BTW, it's the older, full-function HD PVR that I have. So any suggestions as to how to achieve this are welcome, thanks.

Offline Homer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 12:18:25 am »
I also have the first gen PVR. I've never found it to be very noisy. Make sure you have enough ventilation around the device. Excessive heat buildup could also cause the fan to kick in.

Offline SAman

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 10:11:59 am »
There's more than sufficient ventilation around the decoder - it's occupying a shelf of it's own with ample space above it too. Anybody know if it's the hard-drive spinning all the time or a fan? And why isn't it going to sleep when the unit is supposedly in standby (switched off via the remote control) ? 
Is there any adjustments/settings I can activate to enable it to go into proper standby?

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Toybox
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 01:34:37 pm »
As far as I can tell the little Pace one is fully on all the time; standby does nothing at all. It puts out audio all the time too, even when in 'standby'.
You can hear it doing intermittent disc reads or write all the time. The only time I ever heard the hard disc 'switch off' is if I do a hardware reset via the menu system. Then you can hear it briefly park & unpark the heads.

Offline SAman

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 02:35:33 pm »
As far as I can tell the little Pace one is fully on all the time; standby does nothing at all. It puts out audio all the time too, even when in 'standby'.
You can hear it doing intermittent disc reads or write all the time. The only time I ever heard the hard disc 'switch off' is if I do a hardware reset via the menu system. Then you can hear it briefly park & unpark the heads.

...so why bother to have standby mode at all ??   ::)  In this era when we all need to conserve energy more than ever before one would think power-saving would be central to system design. That's just sloppy of DSTV & Pace  :o

Offline Johnny Rotten

• ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bad decisions make good stories.
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 03:55:28 pm »
Out of curiosity, are there any choices where hd decoders are concerned or is it now down to a single model?
Cables, Interconnects & Other Stuff - The Truth.  Worry is a great stimulant to hearing the difference.

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
    • Toybox
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 05:24:45 pm »
...so why bother to have standby mode at all ??   ::)  In this era when we all need to conserve energy more than ever before one would think power-saving would be central to system design. That's just sloppy of DSTV & Pace  :o

I see no point to what IT calls standby - all that happens is the video signal disapears. If you take its AC away as a 'power off' mode, it takes ages to restart. It's a really crappy device though - full of faults and dumb-ass design. But then again, they are very  cheap (unlike the monthly fee for the service). It might be so crappy because multi-mnet have put their own firmware in it; possibly the original Pace firmware does give you real control and use of it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 05:28:00 pm by Steerpike »

Offline SAman

• AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 06:41:55 pm »
I'm considering putting my PVR onto a timer switch that will just keep it off during office hours on weekdays, since it doesn't seem to have it's own real power-saving mode. Not the best solution, but.... 

Offline Steerpike

• Forum Moderator
    • Toybox
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 07:59:25 pm »
It likes to get firmware updates randomly at about 3am. They warn you not to power it off while it is doing that (not sure what will actually happen, I guess you might end up with a corrupt bootloader, and then its off to the service centre for you).

Offline SAman

• AVForums Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 08:14:43 am »
Thanks for alerting me to that. So, I'll just keep it off during office hrs, since we only watch at night & weekends.